This course helps bridge the gap between studying law and practicing law for students interested in joining a big or medium law firm.
The course will give students practical skills to succeed as an associate in a big/medium law firm. The course includes (without limitation):
- an introduction and overview of big/medium firms including firm structure and governance;
- professionalism and professional identity development;
- interactions within and outside the firm;
- approach to various types of assignments, written and oral presentations;
- working independently and collaboratively;
- working with support staff;
- billing, ethics, and best practices;
- deadline management;
- client service and management;
- client privacy issues;
- conflicts of interest;
- courtroom etiquette;
- business development; and,
- associate performance expectations and evaluation.